unusually high load averages

Jake Khuon khuon at NEEBU.Net
Fri Jan 30 12:38:12 PST 2004

### On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:15:22 -0800, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>
### casually decided to expound upon Melvyn Sopacua
### <freebsd-current at webteckies.org> the following thoughts about "Re:
### unusually high load averages":

KK> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 12:08:17AM +0100, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
KK> > On Thursday 29 January 2004 22:34, Jake Khuon wrote:
KK> >
KK> > > I'm noticing some unusually high load averages even though nothing
KK> > > seem s to be taking up much CPU.  This started happening with a
KK> > > recent cvsup (last night).  Anyone know what might be causing this?
KK> >
KK> > You are actually seeing > 0.00% CPU/WCPU, cause with me everything is
KK> > zero, allthough I know for sure that's not true.
KK>
KK> You both forgot to mention which scheduler you're using.  This is
KK> important.

Just as another datapoint.  I had been using SCHED_4BSD and saw those high
load averages.  I then switched to SCHED_ULE and see the same thing.  With
next to no user applications running I sit just above 1 and with my normaly
X environment running (where I normally sit well below 0.5) I'm seeing
between 4 and 5.  Like others I don't think the load is representatively
true.  And while this may be more aesthetics than anything (not really
effecting me in any other way right now although it makes xload look
pretty), some applications do track load avg during operations... such as
say sendmail.

--
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- |