nss_winbind support

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Wed Jan 28 13:33:11 PST 2004

> > I may have just missed it but there doesn't seem to be a lot of
> > information available on how to set Samba 3 up under FreeBSD 5.x to
> > use nss_winbind and pam_winbind. What information I have
> found doesn't
> > seem to work, maybe because it focuses on joining the domain as an
> > NT-style domain member vs. Active Directory-style membership.
>
> Sorry I can't help with this one, still working it out myself.
>
> I have had it working previously with rpc but not ads.

Just a followup, in case anyone else cares.. This problem has been worked
on and may be fixed in the samba CVS tree as of the 7th of this month. It
should be in the latest release candidate that has been posted recently.

You have to copy the libnss_winbind.so module from samba/source/nsswitch/
into /usr/lib and make symlinks to libnss_winbind.so.1 and perhaps
nss_winbind.so.1 and nss_winbind.so.2 (or so I read). I am now able to
assign microsoft domain user/group permissions on files and directories
and presumably I will be able to replace our fileserver with a samba3
machine which participates in the Active Diretory and uses kerberos
authentication, etc.

Very happy about this....

-Will