atapi cdrecord under 5.2

Harti Brandt brandt at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Jan 28 02:07:12 PST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Andrew Thomson wrote:

AT>having the following problem trying to burn an iso to cd using cdrecord.
AT>
AT>Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
AT>Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
AT>Version        : 0
AT>Response Format: 1
AT>Vendor_info    : 'CREATIVE'
AT>Identifikation : 'CD-RW RW1210E   '
AT>Revision       : 'LCS6'
AT>Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
AT>Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
AT>Driver flags   : MMC SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
AT>Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
AT>Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 12 in real TAO mode for single
AT>session.
AT>Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
AT>cdrecord: Input/output error. send opc: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
AT>CDB:  54 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
AT>status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
AT>Sense Bytes: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
AT>00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
AT>Sense Key: 0xFFFFFFFF [], Segment 0
AT>Sense Code: 0x00 Qual 0x00 (no additional sense information) Fru 0x0
AT>Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
AT>cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 60s
AT>cdrecord: OPC failed.

That may be the same problem I discovered yesterday together with Joerg
Schilling (the cdrecord author). According to him, for several kinds of CD
recorders error returns from the recorder are expected by cdrecord (some
recorders, for example, return an error for long writes, although they
process it (this is allowed by the SCSI spec)). cdrecord handles these
error (and they do not turn up as errors to the user), but in order to do
this it expectes the CAM layer to return correct sense data after an error
(the CAM spec requires the CAM layer to automatically issue a SENSE
command after errors). As you can see in the above output, the sense data
is all zero, which seems to be broken. At the moment it's not clear, where
the problem exactly is: CAM, ATAPICAM or ATAPI.

harti