RFC: Weekly status update 17/01/04-23/01/04 (cvs-src summary)

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 24 07:30:34 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:08:46AM -0600, Mark Johnston wrote:
> Last week's thread about status reports spurred me to come up with this
> in a few idle hours.  I've gone through the cvs-src mail from last week
> and summarized what looked like the most important commits, along with
> some of the longer threads that cropped up.  I'm hoping for some comments
> on this from some people who contributed to the thread; I'm also CCing
> Jonathan Sage, who has rigged up an automated status update (and beaten me
> to the punch by a damn sight), in hopes that we can work together on this
> project.

Excellent summaries.

> First DragonflyBSD merge
> ------------------------
> Jeffrey Hsu (hsu) merged some TCP code from DragonflyBSD_.  Alexey
> Dokuchaev suspects that this is the first merge from Dragonfly that
> FreeBSD has seen.
>
> .. _DragonflyBSD: http://www.dragonflybsd.org/

Actually, the first merge was probably back in August.  See
FreeBSD-SA-03:10.ibcs2.  David Rhodus discovered the issue in
DragonFlyBSD and then Matt Dillon brought it to the attention of
<security-officer at freebsd.org>.

> =============
> Major changes
> =============
> cvs security update
> -------------------
> Jacques Vidrine (nectar) added two security patches to CVS.  The first
> stops CVS's native server mode, pserver, from being configured to run as
> root.  The second patch catches malicious requests that would cause the
> CVS server to attempt to create directories in the root of the
> filesystem holding the CVS repository.

These were not really `Major changes', IMHO.  Neither of these issues
presented any risk on their own.  Really poor configuration choices
also would have to have been made.  (Thus no advisory nor merging to
the security branches.)

In general, it is probably hard to decide what is `Major' or
`Less-Major' or `Minor' :-)

I hope you keep this up, I enjoyed reading it.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   NTT/Verio SME      FreeBSD UNIX       Heimdal
nectar at celabo.org jvidrine at verio.net nectar at freebsd.org nectar at kth.se