80386 support in -current

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Sat Jan 24 07:26:49 PST 2004

Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au> writes:
> Does anyone know why FreeBSD 5.x would not run on a 386SX/387SX
> combination?  I realise the performance would be very poor but I
> don't see any reason why it wouldn't work at all.

It should run fine (though quite slowly) on a 386 with a 387 FPU, but
you need to roll your own release.  The reason why we don't support
the 386 out of the box is that a kernel that will run on a 386 will be
very inefficient on newer CPUs (the synchronization code relies on a
particular instruction which was introduced with the 486 and must be
emulated on the 386)

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no