APIC problem(?)

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 20 17:34:43 PST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Doug White wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Papp Tamas wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry, I can't get it.
> >
> > When I try to boot with option -h, the machine reboot automatically. I
> > tried to do something with this until this time, but I couldn't.
>
> Thats really bizarre. I'm thinking your system has bigger problems.
> Booting with serial console should not cause a reboot.

I've seen this happen two times in the past:

(1) Using BIOS console redirection to serial line at the same time as
    FreeBSD serial rediction on two SGI boxes.

(2) When there were ACPI problems that prevented the sio ports from
    working properly, the results were somewhat unpredictable.

Might be worth disabling ACPI to see if the problem "goes away"; if it
does, trying bios updates, etc.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research