REVIEW: cleanvar.patch

Tim Kientzle kientzle at acm.org
Tue Jan 20 13:29:46 PST 2004

Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:44:33AM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
>>Brooks Davis wrote:
>>
>>>I think there's some argument that
>>>we should move mtree and possiably newsyslog to /sbin to support the
>>>population of /var.
>>
>>Has you considered /bin/pax?
>
> It seems like that would require a complete rewrite of how we handle
> directory creation in the build/release process.

Not necessarily.

It's relatively easy to convert an mtree file to a tar
file.  (Just expand the mtree file into a temp dir, then
tar up the result.)  Then we could have both mtree
and tar files in /etc/mtree.

Nothing else needs to change, and that gives us something
that can be used with /bin/pax on populate critical
dirs on systems before /usr is mounted.

Tim Kientzle

P.S.  Hmmm... It looks like it would be easy for
libarchive to also read mtree files.  Then
bsdtar's built-in features for converting archive formats
on-the-fly might be useful here.  Hmmm....