spontaneous reboot under 5.2-RELEASE (w/DEBUG kernel)

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sun Jan 18 14:36:34 PST 2004

Howdy list,

I've got a 5.2-RELEASE machine running a debug kernel
that just spontaneously rebooted as I was trying to
install an openoffice package over NFS.

Here's what I found in /var/log/messages upon boot:

Jan 18 16:49:40 david kernel: lock order reversal
Jan 18 16:49:40 david kernel: 1st 0xc4f315ac vm object (vm object) @ vm/swap_pager.c:1323
Jan 18 16:49:40 david kernel: 2nd 0xc0989e20 swap_pager swhash (swap_pager swhash) @ vm/swap_pager.c:1838
Jan 18 16:49:40 david kernel: 3rd 0xc10358c4 vm object (vm object) @ vm/uma_core.c:873
Jan 18 16:49:40 david kernel: Stack backtrace:

I _know_ this is a supposedly harmless backtrace.

And I found this message:

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-December/015780.html

Which suggests that I remove WITNESS_DDB or DDB_UNATTENDED
from my kernel, but I don't have either of those in my
kernel in the first place.

I've got this:

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

[...]

# Debugging for use in -current
options         DDB                     #Enable the kernel debugger
options         INVARIANTS              #Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       #Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
options         WITNESS                 #Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        #Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

options         IPSEC                   #IP security
options         IPSEC_ESP               #IP security (crypto; define w/ IPSEC)

# BRIDGE enables bridging between ethernet cards -- see bridge(4).
# You can use IPFIREWALL and DUMMYNET together with bridging.
#
options         DUMMYNET
options         BRIDGE

options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #enable logging to syslogd(8)
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    #limit verbosity

options         IPDIVERT                #divert sockets
#options        IPFILTER                #ipfilter support
#options        IPFILTER_LOG            #ipfilter logging
#options        IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK  #block all packets by default
options         IPSTEALTH               #support for stealth forwarding
#options        PFIL_HOOKS              #required by IPFILTER

Everything else is pretty stock. How do I keep my machine from
rebooting?

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator