Status reports - why not regularly?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Jan 13 11:48:22 PST 2004

> We should not reinvent the wheel, if someone like to cover
> information about FreeBSD ports he should support freshports.org.

I don't think I made my point well.  Let me try again ...

For daily ports changes (changes to individual ports) freshports
is indeed indispensible and deserves our support.  In fact, I
see that one of the other BSDs has a monthtly summary of "all
ports that changed" and frankly it's too much information to
sift through -- freshports really "feels" better for this purpose.

What I'm talking about is any changes made that will affect
multiple ports -- sometimes, like the changes Joe just posted
w/rt bsd.gnome.mk; sometimes, like "changes to the sdl2 port
have just been made, which affects N ports".  (Possibly even
"changes to the sdl2 port are not allowed right now because
it would affect N ports, sigh.)

Really, there are only 1 or 2 a month that fit my rough idea
of what is relevant to a wider audience.

Perhaps this makes it clearer what I was trying to say.

mcl