5.2-RELEASE: unable to mount cd-roms

Jon Noack noackjr at compgeek.com
Tue Jan 13 09:36:10 PST 2004

On 1/13/2004 11:23 AM, Doug White wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Jon Noack wrote:
>>I am unable to mount CD-ROMs with 5.2-RELEASE.  I get the following
>>error message:
>>
>>cd9660: /dev/acd0: Input/output error
>
> handy.
>
>>The full dmesg:
>>http://www.noacks.org/freebsd/dmesg.20040113.txt
>>
>>$ grep acd0: dmesg.20040113.txt
>>acd0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
>>sensekey=ABORTED COMMAND error=4<ABORTED>
>>acd0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
>>sensekey=ABORTED COMMAND error=4<ABORTED>
>>acd0: <CREATIVEDVD-ROM DVD2240E 03/18/98/1.8A> DVDROM drive at ata0 as
>>master
>>acd0: read 16007KB/s (32015KB/s), 2KB buffer, WDMA2
>>acd0: Reads: CDR, CDRW, CDDA, DVDROM, packet
>>acd0: Writes:
>>acd0: Audio: play, 65280 volume levels
>>acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray, unlocked
>>acd0: Medium: CD-ROM 120mm photo disc
>>acd0: WARNING - READ_BIG UDMA ICRC error (retrying request)
>>acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> sensekey=ILLEGAL
>>REQUEST error=0
>
> The UDMA error is telling -- I think you may have a bad cable.  Try
> running this command in loader before starting the kernel:
>
> set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0
>
> (or at least check that you aren't setting it to 1 in /boot/loader.conf)
>
> If that fixes it, then something is corrupting DMA transactions to your
> DVD drive.  Check the cabling, try rearranging your ATA chains so it isn't
> a master device, etc.

The same cable worked fine for a 60GB dump/restore on Sunday night (a
WD800JB was plugged into it to transfer data to the new hard drives).
Regardless, I'll try a different one when I get home.

As for the DMA issue, I will quote my original message (yes, I rebooted
each time after changing the value in /boot/loader.conf):
"Also, toggling "hw.ata.atapi_dma" does not change the behavior."

Jon Noack