host.conf or how to change resolve order

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 9 06:27:33 PST 2004

[Moving to freebsd-doc@, where I hope someone will pick this up.]

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 06:04:45PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just found that there is no host.conf man page in 5.2RC.
> > There also is no host.conf in /usr/share/examples/etc.
>
> I think it would be useful to mlink nsswitch.conf(5). There is going to
> be a lot of user confusion about this.

You mean so that `man host.conf' gets you the nsswitch.conf man page?
I'm not crazy about that.  Perhaps we should re-add a host.conf(5) man
page that notes the replacement and has an xref.

And pre-emptively, before anyone asks about adding nsswitch.conf to
share/examples/etc again, please read:

<URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=fa.f6oob35.26k52r%40ifi.uio.no>
<URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=fa.f7okcj7.3644ir%40ifi.uio.no>
<URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=fa.jc0ae16.12ginh8%40ifi.uio.no>
<URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20031201132542.GB99018%40madman.celabo.org>

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   NTT/Verio SME      FreeBSD UNIX       Heimdal
nectar at celabo.org jvidrine at verio.net nectar at freebsd.org nectar at kth.se