gdb stack frames (was Re: page fault panic tracked down...)

Peter Edwards petere at openet-telecom.com
Tue Jan 6 06:47:57 PST 2004

Ian Dowse wrote:

>Of course this doesn't explain why gdb mostly works on userland
>programs, so it could just be that I didn't try hard enough to find
>the right registers. Certainly as-is, gdb does not know how to
>retrieve all the saved registers from a kernel trap frame itself.

Hi Ian,

Whatever about the rest of the trap frame, unwinding through traps has
been broken for some time due to some FreeBSD specific code not being
actually compiled into GDB: See PR 60732

>Of course this doesn't explain why gdb mostly works on userland
>programs,

Obviously you don't debug mutithreaded programs:-) (There's some old PRs
lying about for that too...)

--
Peter.