new mergemaster feature or bug? (RCng scripts autodeleting)

Mikhail Manuilov viper5k at pisem.net
Mon Jan 5 14:04:20 PST 2004

Hi, I remember a thread when someone was requesting a feature for
mergemaster(8)
to provide deleting of unessesary old RCng scripts in /etc/rc.d automatically.
Because if you'd forget to read UPDATING, you may wonder why services are
starting twice at boot time.

/* The following rc.d scripts have been removed and should be
        deleted from your installation: atm2.sh atm3.sh devdb
        localdaemons network1 network2 network3. Depending on when
        you last updated world and used mergemaster(8) you may or
        may not have problems during the rc boot sequence. The simplest
        solution is an 'rm -rf /etc/rc.d/*' and then 'mergemaster -i'.
        The atm2.sh atm3.sh and devdb scripts were removed some time
        ago, so depending on when you installed -CURRENT these scripts
        may or may not exist on your system.*/

I didn't read the end of that discussion, i only remeber suggestion to
rm -rf /etc/rc.d/* && cp /usr/src/etc/rc.d/* /etc/rc.d
But when I've tried to run mergemaser this evening I realized that some
changes in this direction was made =) (See the paste below to understand why
i'm smiling)
# cd /usr/src (05.01.04 1.00am cvsup)
# usr.sbin/mergemaster/mergemaster.sh -p

*** Creating the temporary root environment in /var/tmp/temproot
 *** /var/tmp/temproot ready for use
 *** Creating and populating directory structure in /var/tmp/temproot

*** Beginning comparison

   *** Checking /etc/rc.d for stale files

   *** The following files exist in /etc/rc.d but not in
       /var/tmp/temproot/etc/rc.d/:

/***COMMENTS***
#I've decided to see what is in /var/tmp/temproot
[21:47:58]$ ls /var/tmp/temproot/
etc
[21:48:00]$ ls /var/tmp/temproot/etc/
group         master.passwd
# Obviously nothing exept "files known to be essen-
                 tial to the success of {build|install}world, including
                 /etc/make.conf."

 DAEMON LOGIN NETWORKING SERVERS abi accounting addswap adjkerntz amd apm apmd
archdep atm1 atm2 atm3 bgfsck bootparams ccd cleanvar cleartmp cron devd
devfs dhclient diskless dmesg dumpon early.sh fsck gbde hostname inetd
initdiskless initrandom ip6addrctl ip6fw ipfilter ipfs ipfw ipmon ipnat ipsec
ipxrouted isdnd jail kadmind kerberos keyserv kldxref kpasswdd ldconfig local
localpkg lomac lpd motd mountcritlocal mountcritremote mountd moused mroute6d
mrouted msgs named netif netoptions network_ipv6 nfsclient nfsd nfslocking
nfsserver nisdomain ntpd ntpdate othermta pccard pcvt ppp-user pppoed pwcheck
quota random rarpd rcconf.sh root route6d routed routing rpcbind rtadvd rwho
savecore securelevel sendmail serial sppp sshd swap1 syscons sysctl syslogd
timed ttys usbd vinum virecover watchdogd ypbind yppasswdd ypserv ypset
ypupdated ypxfrd

       The presence of stale files in this directory can cause the
       dreaded unpredictable results, and therefore it is highly
       recommended that you delete them.

   *** Delete them now? [y]no/*enter*/
      *** Deleting ...
                       done./*Oops i've sad no =(*/

 *** Temp ./etc/master.passwd and installed have the same CVS Id, deleting
 *** Temp ./etc/group and installed have the same CVS Id, deleting

*** Comparison complete

[21:48:03]$ ls -R /var/tmp/temproot/
etc

/var/tmp/temproot/etc:
/*empty*/

So after "updating essental files" equal to rm -rf /etc/rc.d/* I've just typed
#cp /usr/src/etc/rc.d/* /etc/rc.d