page fault panic tracked down (selwakeuppri())

Bruce Evans bde at zeta.org.au
Sun Jan 4 05:48:44 PST 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Don Lewis wrote:

> On  2 Jan, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> > dsp as sole cause is also unlikely because I've been listening for
> > longer times from cdrom/ufs2 without panics.
>
> I wouldn't rule out the dsp, since you audio player software may be
> calling select() on the fd for the audio device.  You might want to back
> out Bruce's quick hack and change the second argument to selwakeuppri()
> to -1 in chn_wakeup() in dev/sound/pcm/channel.c.

My not seeing any problems is consistent with my not using any sound
drivers.

Did you rule out an invalid file system?  I just tested -current and
was reminded that it doesn't reboot cleanly if ext2fs is mounted.
The unclean reboot doesn't affect r/o mounts of ext2fs.  OTOH, r/o
mounts of dirty file systems are permitted and there is no easy way
to fsck ext2fs file systems under FreeBSD.  (I use fsck.ext2fs from
the e2fsprogs port, but it still needs a block device or filesystem
image to work correctly so it hasn't been easy to use since block
devices were axed.  I sometimes copy file systems to regular files
to use it.)

Bruce