updated to current (.) and now /usr is trashed (WRITE_DMA failled .., resetting ...)

itetcu at tecnik93.com itetcu at tecnik93.com
Sat Jan 3 03:51:50 PST 2004

Didn't make it the first time, it seems.

[please keep cc, exuse formating - webmail]

So, a few hours before the new year I've cvsup'ed from 5.1R-p11 and
make everything. 

After make installkernel and rebooting, I've got the nice WRITE_DM
failled, resetting ....., despite the claim the VIA8237 is supported 
(and I was so happy on getting out of PIO4), and the system stuck 
there. Hard rebootined, boot with safe mode, fsck, setted ata_dma=0 in 
 loader.conf installedword, etc. And leaved the system up in X to get 
mail, etc.

Returned a few hours ago (was still my birthday) and, with 5.2R in 
maind, begin to test and see the differences between the old 5.1 and 
the new current.

Did an atacontrol mode 1 PIO4 UDMA2; only a warning; beging testing 
with iozone on /tmp; hard crash; reset; got a felling and booted in 
single user; fsck and BANG:
fsck /dev/ad3s1f: INCOMPLETE LABEL ....

The other partitions came out OK. The system goes on multiuser, of 
course with errors on reading and eventually loks.

# bsdlabel -A /ad3s1f
# /dev/ad3s1:
type: ESDI
disk: ad3s1
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 4865
sectors/unit: 78165360
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
drivedata: 0 
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
a:   524288        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0 
b:  2053552   524288      swap                    
c: 78140160        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, 
don't edit
d:   524288  2577840    4.2BSD        0     0     0 
e:   524288  3102128    4.2BSD        0     0     0 
f: 74513744  3626416    4.2BSD        0     0     0 

Tried to restore thte label values by hand with fsize 2048 and bsize 
16384; didn't know the bps/cpg value so I've newfs ad3s1d (/tmp), 
which gave me 32776, which I used on a, d, e; but I don't know how to 
figure the value for f.

On a fsck_ufs -n -b 160 ad3s1f I get a log list of "UNEXPECTTTED 
SOFTUPDATE FAILURE" untill fsck exits with a bad inode xxxxxx to next 
inode. On fsck-ing with any othe alternate superblosk as printed by 

Is there any way  to get my data back ?



I've bedd a happy FreeBSD user for a few yers now, and I never had big 
problems with it. But in the last 3 months, as some may remeber, I had 
so many disk_and_data related problems that lead to asking myself 
questions about how trustfully is the UFS[2]; after all, I've never 
managed to lose a hole partiton with windoze and FAT32 (yeh, may be 
*I* was lucky) and, if something wrong happend I could edit the  FAT  
table by hand or use some third party recovering tools. But neither is 
an option with UFS2.
Maybe I'm doing something terribly wrong and some one will point me 
right ...
I'm used to trust my FreeBSD deskop; I've learned to do back-ups; but 
I cannot dump/restore tens of Gigs every night, especialy with the 
disk on PIO4; that leads me to be not productive ......
I'm to frustated ....... What a nice day to begin to new year......

More information about the freebsd-current mailing list