X.org configuration in sysinstall

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon Aug 30 11:06:11 PDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:09, Doug White wrote:
> > > It finds the highest resolution supported by your card _and_ monitor.
> >
> > .... at 8 bit color, which is the part that really bothers me.
>
> Yeah that IS kind of dumb.
>
> It'd be interesting to now how the heuristic works for that so it can be made
> more useful for modern hardware..

It uses DDC to download your monitor's specs from the monitor itself, then
matches it up to a set of builtin modelines at the given bitdepth.  I
think it prefers resolution over refresh, but it depends on the limiting
factor, the card's clock or the monitor's frequency ranges.  Looking at
the output in /var/log/Xorg.0.log should illuminate its choices.

I generally end up adding a DefaultDepth and a Modes line at that depth to
force the resolution a specific way.  I haven't ever tried Xorg -configure
-depth 24 and see if it spits out a DefaultDepth line...