panic: unmount: dangling vnode

Daniel Eriksson daniel_k_eriksson at telia.com
Thu Aug 26 08:38:57 PDT 2004

John Hay wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade my May-month-current box to 5.3-BETA
> and rebooting
> in multi-user mode with a new kernel+modules and with old or new
> /sbin/vinum produces the panic:
>
> panic: unmount: dangling vnode

This is a known problem with "classic" vinum. You need / mounted when
starting vinum or else you get the panic. If you switch to gvinum instead
your problem should go away (but beware that the control program for gvinum
still lacks a lot of functionality).

What you need to do to switch:

* Remove start_vinum="YES" from /etc/rc.conf.
* Add geom_vinum_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf
* Change /dev/vinum/* to /dev/gvinum/* in /etc/fstab
* Reboot

I think that should be enough.

/Daniel Eriksson