5.3-BETA1 hard lockups (HP DL380 G3)

Chris Dillon cdillon at wolves.k12.mo.us
Wed Aug 25 08:38:29 PDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Chris Dillon wrote:
>
>> Anybody else experiencing hard lockups with a recent 5.3-BETA?  I can
>> manage to build and install a kernel if I hold my breath while doing it,
>> but I can't make it through a buildworld without the system locking up
>> hard enough to require a manual reset (thank goodness for iLO and its
>> virtual reset button :-).
>
> Yes -- there's a bug fix in HEAD for SMP-related VM races, but it's
> not yet merged to RELENG_5 as it's in a three day waiting period.
> It will be shortly.  I've CC'd Doug White, the pertinent victim.

Funny enough, I was running HEAD until early yesterday when I realized
what I really wanted now was RELENG_5, but I was still locking up
solid.  If that patch only went in HEAD a few days ago, though, I
probably missed it.  I'm going to try to build a UP kernel in the
meantime and see if that gets around the problem.

Also, since you mention this is VM-related, I am probably triggering
it so quickly during a kernel/world build because my /usr/obj is on
md. :-)

--
  Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
  FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?