Recent ATA changes break Thinkpad T40p

Søren Schmidt sos at DeepCore.dk
Mon Aug 23 01:21:56 PDT 2004

Vaidas Damosevicius wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Søren Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> This is *not* a controller problem, its because the CDROM drive has
>>> buggy firmware that responds to both master and slave selection :(
>>

>> OK, I have committed a workaround for those buggers to -current...
>>
>> (for those that uses 5.3 just take your ATA driver upto -current)
>>

> Well, after cvsup and kernel rebuild I have the same problems:
>
> ad0: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt was seen but timeout fired LBA=52738515
> ad0: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt was seen but timeout fired LBA=52738515
> ad0: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt was seen but taskqueue stalled
> LBA=52738515
>
> ... and my system "hangs" - I can't login, I can't shutdown it - only
> turn off :(

So you suffer from that "other" possibly non-ATA problem and not the
"fake slave" one?

If you had provided a dmesg from the system, preferably from the kernel
that fails, I could maybe tell you more...

Does backstepping only /sys/dev/ata to say aug 1st help ?(leave the rest
of the kernel uptodate).

-Søren