SMP: Background fsck deadlocks CURRENT and RELENG_5 solid

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 19 08:34:06 PDT 2004

On Thursday 19 August 2004 10:58 am, Martin Blapp wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently not able to reboot a paniced or unsincedy disk without
> doing a normal fsck. Just when the background fsck starts, the box
> locks solid. The load at this time is not significant.

You might have a corrupted fs from earlier panics.  Do a full fsck in single
user mode and keep doing it until you have no errors (i.e., if it fixes
anything run fsck again in a loop until you get no fixups at all).