RFC: Alternate patch to have true new-style rc.d scripts in ports (without touching localpkg)

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Aug 16 23:07:56 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 07:58:26AM +0200, Jeff Fisher wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 01:10:09AM +0200, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> >
> > There is no compelling reason *not* to let ports script participate in
> > rcorder(8).
> >

> I'm back on 4.x, so I don't have this man page...  However, why not use
> S###name.sh, and let the shell wildcard order them for you?  It's simple,
> effective, and matches what almost everybody else does, which makes it easier
> to manage.

It's also hard to maintain by virtue of attempting to may a simple but
correction model (dependencies) into an even simpler, but wrong one
(linear ordering).  Please spend some time learning about the system
before bitching.  There are plenty of resource to learn about the new
system including this writeup:

http://www.daemonnews.org/200108/rcdsystem.html

and of course lukem's origional paper:

http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~lukem/papers/rc.d.pdf

For that matter you can read any freebsd manpage with a simple query
like:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=rcorder

> Dependencies are handled by having a standard on what number to choose; i.e.
> S1xx = Adding libraries to ldpath or essential system daemons, S2xx =
> Non-essential daemons with no dependencies, S3xx = Non-essential daemons with
> dependencies, etc.... Someone would be the maintaner of the numbers, and give
> everybody their unique number.  It's not perfect, but is relatively easy to
> manage.

<puke>  Real dependencies are much easier to manage (speaking as someone
who admin'd Solaris for many years.)

-- Brooks