New nvidia drivers available

Doug Rabson dfr at nlsystems.com
Sun Aug 15 01:28:08 PDT 2004

On Sunday 15 August 2004 03:11, Kenneth Culver wrote:
> Quoting Tim Robbins <tjr at freebsd.org>:
> > On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 07:34:24PM +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:
> >> The latest 6113 build of the nvidia graphics drivers has just
> >> appeared on nvidia's web site. Check out
> >> http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_1.0-6113.html if you are
> >> currently using the nvidia proprietary drivers. This driver works
> >> nicely on FreeBSD-current and while this version is not
> >> thread-safe, it does not conflict with libpthread or libthr's use
> >> of %gs so you don't have to map everything down to libc_r any more
> >> :-).
> >
> > Are you aware of any plans to release an AMD64 build of the driver?
>
> Also, AGP doesn't seem to want to work with my ASUS k8v deluxe
> motherboard.

I don't know about that - I'm currently using the nvidia built-in agp
support.

> I tried to use FreeBSD's agp.ko, and with that, the screen just goes
> blank and I
> have to push the reset button, and I tried with nvidia's agp, and
> this is what the sysctl values say:
>
> hw.nvidia.agp.card.rates: 8x 4x
> hw.nvidia.agp.card.fw: supported
> hw.nvidia.agp.card.sba: supported
> hw.nvidia.agp.card.registers: 0x1f000e1b:0x00000000
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: disabled
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: n/a (unused)
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.rate: n/a (disabled)
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.fw: n/a (disabled)
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.sba: n/a (disabled)
>
> Is there something special to do in order to enable AGP (other than
> change the value in the X config, and compile the kernel module
> right)??

The agp.status bits should change value after X starts. I think if you
want to use FreeBSD's agp driver, you need to edit nv-freebsd.h and
define NV_SUPPORT_OS_AGP.

If that doesn't work, your best bet is to post in the support forum at
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14.