ATA issues: ad0: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY no interrupt

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sun Aug 8 12:32:26 PDT 2004

OK; small update:  my laptop, updated with equivalent sources (CVS
repo is a local mirror of the other local mirror), gets as far as

module_register: module g_md already exists!
Module g_md failed to register: 17
can't re-use a leaf (mddebug)!

[the above lines in bold]
then stops dead.  Only way to get it to respond is power-cycling.

I am able to boot today's kernel in single-user mode, and mount the
UFS file systems OK.  And I'm able to unload today's kernel, load
yesterday's, and boot (otherwise) "normally".

Reviewong the log from "cvs update," I see that there were updates
in the last 24 hrs. (i.e., between the updates) that have plausble
relevance:

U sys/dev/ata/ata-lowlevel.c
U sys/dev/ata/atapi-cd.c

U sys/dev/md/md.c

U sys/geom/geom.h
U sys/geom/geom_aes.c
U sys/geom/geom_apple.c
U sys/geom/geom_bsd.c
U sys/geom/geom_ccd.c
U sys/geom/geom_dev.c
U sys/geom/geom_disk.c
U sys/geom/geom_fox.c
U sys/geom/geom_gpt.c
U sys/geom/geom_mbr.c
U sys/geom/geom_pc98.c
U sys/geom/geom_subr.c
U sys/geom/geom_sunlabel.c
U sys/geom/geom_vol_ffs.c
U sys/geom/bde/g_bde.c
U sys/geom/concat/g_concat.c
U sys/geom/gate/g_gate.c
U sys/geom/label/g_label.c
U sys/geom/mirror/g_mirror.c
U sys/geom/nop/g_nop.c
U sys/geom/stripe/g_stripe.c

I note that my sys/dev/md/md.c is at rev. 1.127.

Anything strike anyone as suspicious here?

Thanks,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I do not "unsubscribe" from email "services" to which I have not explicitly
subscribed.  Rather, I block spammers' access to SMTP servers I control,
and encourage others who are in a position to do so to do likewise.