gcc 3.4.2 with -fmemoize-lookup and -fsave-memoized

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Sat Aug 7 08:42:37 PDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 09:22:23AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Niclas wrote:
> >Hi!
> >I tried to upgrade my system from 5.2.1 to current a couple of hours
> >ago. The build died yelling about unrecognized command line options
> >-fmemoize-lookup and -fsave-memoized. It seems that those options is
> >removed, and some more investigation seemed to prove that.
> >Now I'm just wondering, are those options really removed, or am I just
> >being stupid and overlooking something? If they are removed, shouldn't
> >they be removed from src/share/examples/etc/make.conf be removed as well
> >so nobody uses them?
> >
> >Cheers!
> >//Niclas
>
> How exactly are you doing your upgrade?

Niclas refers to src/share/examples/etc/make.conf, which suggests
that he has CXXFLAGS defined in /etc/make.conf.

>From src/share/examples/etc/make.con, we find

  # CXXFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C++ code.
  # Note that CXXFLAGS is initially set to the value of CFLAGS.  If you wish
  # to add to CXXFLAGS value, "+=" must be used rather than "=".  Using "="
  # alone will remove the often needed contents of CFLAGS from CXXFLAGS.
  #
  #CXXFLAGS+= -fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized

kargl[193] c++ -fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized a.c
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-fmemoize-lookups"
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-fsave-memoized"

--
Steve