FreeBSD and wine mmap

John Birrell jb at cimlogic.com.au
Wed Aug 4 22:07:28 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 03:46:42PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> /proc/curproc/map
> can give you a quick temporary solution..
> julian at ref3:cat /proc/curproc/map

I can't see how that gives a quick temporary solution. The mmaps we are
talking about are the ones done by rtld. Wine libraries are standard
Unix shared libraries that are dlopen'ed. The fact that the load fails
is due to the upper process memory being deliberately consumed before
the libraries are loaded. Screwing up rtld seems like a poor idea to
me.

The Wine people say that Linux now loads shared libraries at random
addresses to make buffer overruns less predictable. That's why they
gobble upper memory as soon as they can (albeit after libc has been
loaded because that's linked to the Wine program). Presumably FreeBSD
may one day consider doing the same thing for the same reason.

--
John Birrell