mounting msdosfs

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Mon Apr 26 02:21:56 PDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:56:55 +0200, Christer Solskogen wrote:

> I got two msdosfs(fat32) partitions on my machine.
> I can mount them without any problems, but fsck wont work.
>
> # fsck_msdosfs /dev/ad0s5
> ** /dev/ad0s5
> backup doesn't compare to primary bootblock
>
> I did a clean FreeBSD 5.2.1 install(not upgraded or anything)

I have the same problem.  It turns out that fsck_msdosfs works with
fat32 file systems created by Win98 but not those created by WinXP.

I run FreeBSD 4.9.  I assumed that the problem was that the fsck_msdosfs
in 4.9 was not being kept up to date and that the problem was possibly
already fixed in release 5.x.  (I guess not.)

Dan Strick
strick at covad.net