Testing Tar (was Re: bad news for bsdtar..)

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 23 22:40:53 PDT 2004

On 23 Apr, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> [Discussion moved to current@]
>
> Bruce Evans wrote:
>>
>> At least the -current version of tar skips reading the
>> data when it is writing to /dev/null.
>
> A-ha!  That explains a few of the odd timings I've seen.
> I wonder why it does that?  (Other than to look good on
> benchmarks, of course. ;-)

This speeds up Amanda quite a bit.  Amanda will run tar with the
--totals option as well as other options to specify either full or
incremental backups multiple times for each file system that it backs
up.  It does this to plan the best mixture of full and incremental
backups.  If tar actually read the data from disk each time, the
planning phase would take a *lot* longer, and would thrash the disk a
lot more.