small note to GENERIC for isa dependency

David Syphers dsyphers at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 21 22:40:54 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 07:38 am, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20040421143336.GA31427 at daemon.li>
> : whats the sense of a removable option which will only result in a
> : broken kernel build, if it is removed? why not hide it or
> : make a note so no one tries to remove it?
>
> it is an option no one has tried to remove until recently, and the
> amount of code that unwisely depends on it was unknown until such
> efforts were undertaken.  It could be made to work, just that nobody
> has climbed the hill to make it work.

I do think it'd be a good idea to add a note, though. I know I tried removing
it a while ago, since I know next to nothing about hardware and thought,
"hey, I don't have ISA." Something complained, so I put it back in and forgot
about it. A note would save people like me a little confusion. And I'm sure
there have been others like me for many years, not just "recently." I haven't
had ISA slots in a computer for at least 6 years.

-David