kernel panic at quotactl with 5.2-current

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 21 02:09:32 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:30:09AM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+> +> This patch fixed this problem.
+>
+> Your fix is probably only a workaround.
+> The problem is more complex, because vn_start_write() is able to return 0
+> and mp == NULL when operation is not supported by file system.
+> I'm not yet sure if we just can't fix vn_start_write() to return
+> EOPNOTSUPP when needed, but there is a special case for this:
+>
+> 	if (error != EOPNOTSUPP)
+> 		return (error);
+> 	return (0);
+>
+> and I must figure out why. There are many vn_start_write() consumers,
+> so this can take a while.
+> Anyway, thank you for your report.

Ok, quotactl() is probably the only place which use vn_start_write()
not properly. Could you test this patch:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/vfs_syscalls.c.2.patch

The only different between yours patch and mine is that I'm returning
EOPNOTSUPP instead of 0 if file system doesn't support quotas.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl