no internet connection

Marian Hettwer Mh at kernel32.de
Thu Apr 15 07:08:07 PDT 2004

Eric Anderson wrote:
> Marian Hettwer wrote:
>
>>> The installation went fine except for the network. I have a normal
>>> network
>>> card and a netgear dsl router, which is connected to the internet. I
>>> could
>>> configure the network using dhcp but I have no connection to the
>>> internet.
>>> Can someone point me in the right direction where to search for the
>>> solution?
>>

>> hm... I believe some more information are needed.
>> Please provide us with the following output:
>>
>> ifconfig -a
>> uname -a
>> dmesg
>>
>> I have no clue which Network Card you are using, and therefor which
>> network card is configured for dhcp. I would guess that FreeBSD
>> doesn´t know your NIC. So let´s fix this ;)
>

> Actually, I think it's most likely because he needs PPPoE.
> This might help:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html

hm, to me it sounds like he is using a Netgear DSL Router, which means,
this box is already connected to the internet, and gives the information
to its clients via dhcp. So I thought his Network Card in his FreeBSD is
connected to the router and receives the information via dhcp ...

If the "Netgear DSL Router" is actually a DSL Modem, which is directly
connected to the FreeBSD Machine, then you are right - he needs PPPoE :)

regards,
Marian