Second "RFC" on pkg-data idea for ports

Robin Schoonover end at endif.cjb.net
Wed Apr 14 06:19:50 PDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:02:35 +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Martin <nakal at web.de> writes:
> > I would personally like it to use XML. I'm developing a small
> > application which is a kind of GUI for ports (works like a
> > browser). It is very difficult to parse the Makefiles to find
> > out which version number and which dependencies it has. Some
> > versions (like KDE3) are just variables and I don't have an
> > idea how to fetch them yet.
>
> make -V

I use make -V a lot, and it's slow (every time you run it, make has to
reread all the bsd.*.mk files, such as bsd.port.mk).  The speed isn't much
of an issue when you only do one or two ports, but when you are examining
the entire ports collection, you notice.

That said, I'd still rather use a makefile based ports system anyway.

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)
#