Optimizing RCng execution speed ?

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at netlab.nec.de
Wed Apr 14 00:08:04 PDT 2004

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> As a general comment on this thread, my feeling is that optimising
> boot speed is not the most productive use of scarce developer time
> at present (though I agree it can be annoying if you need to reboot
> regularly to test fixes).  If someone wants to have a look at this,
> the place to start is to profile the complete system during startup
> and see where the time is going.

Along the same lines: I find that on recent hardware, the device probing
performed by the kernel actually takes longer than running through the
rcNG scripts after. So that might be a target for optimization as well
(or instead.)

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories