random(4) related panic: sleeping without a mutex

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Apr 12 16:39:20 PDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 11:19:59PM +0100, Mark Murray wrote:
> "Simon L. Nielsen" writes:
> > > Yeah. Part of the startup does a "kickstart" of the device by writing
> > > garbage to it. I wonder why it didn't do that this time. Is your
> > > /etc/rc* completely up to date? What is in your rc.conf?
> >
> > The problem is that I use initdiskless which is run as the very first
> > rc.d script, even before initrandom.  It has to run first since /etc is
> > replaced by that script.
>
> Hmmm. Methinks initdiskless should depend on initrandom.

As it stands, initdiskless can't really depend on initrandom because
initrandom depends on /etc/rc.conf existing and /etc may not exist until
after initdiskless does.

For the purposes of initdiskless, feeding /dev/random noisy command
output should be sufficent so either adding that directly or creating a
preseedrandom script that runs before initdiskless should be OK.

-- Brooks