Optimizing RCng execution speed ?

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 12 14:41:59 PDT 2004

At 09:36 11/04/2004, Divacky Roman wrote:
>RCng uses dependancies so it naturally makes a graph where some nodes
>are independant of each other. what about executing this in parallel?

  I've put together some code for this -- I hacked up rcorder to
output sets of scripts which can be run simultaneously, had rc.subr
run them in the background, and had /etc/rc wait after each group.
  Much to my surprise, it didn't help -- in fact, it resulted in a
5% slowdown (on my single processor, HTT-enabled system).

Colin Percival