LOR: sys/kern/sys_generic.c:902 sys/fs/specfs/spec_vnops.c:387

Daniel Lang dl at leo.org
Sun Apr 11 05:57:57 PDT 2004

Hi John,

Jon Noack wrote on Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 12:54:14PM -0500:
[..]
> I got this same one today.  Seems like this one even has a PR:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/55175
>
> Like I said, I'm not going to put any work into the web page until I find
> someone to commit a pointer to it when you get a lock order reversal.
> Otherwise, the page is of limited value (we will still get peppered with
> questions on the list).

Why do you insist on the pointer to be present before you start your
webpage? You are making a chicken-egg-problem out of it, while there is
no need. IMHO a webpage with information, but no prominent pointer is
preferred over a pointer in the LOR message to a nonexisting webpage.

I am confident, once your webpage is set up and contains some
useful information, there is someone, who will add the hint to
the error-message. But not the other way round, no one will
commit a hint to something, which doesn't exist.

Just my 0.02 EUR,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                      - Me transfere sursum, Caledoni -
 Daniel Lang * dl at leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/