Future of FreeBSD

Nathan Seven scosol at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 12:14:08 PDT 2004

--- Nathan Seven <scosol at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >-- Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen at piwebs.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 09 April 2004 00:45, Atte Peltomaki
> wrote:
> > > Hello FreeBSD users and developers!
> > >
> > > As an active FreeBSD user, I'm ever so
> interested
> > about the future
> > > plans of FreeBSD and direction of developement.
> > Many of the features
> > > that 5.x taunts are very impressive. But as of
> > late I have been
> > > increasingly worried about the direction (or,
> lack
> > of direction) things
> > > have been going.
>
> > This looks like a troll, and if it isn't, it
> doesn't
> > belong on this mailing
> > list. Please don't feed the trolls.
>
> Hmmm- troll or no, I don't see it as a particularly
> invalid question...
> I have some of the same concerns myself-
> Is there a specific "guidance" or "direction" list
> that I should be subscribed to?
> If not, this *would* be the proper place- no?

Errr nevermind- I thought that the above was the
entirety of the "troll" post ( I saw the rest- troll
indeed).

Anyway, I mentioned *I* had some of the same
questions, I feel like I should clarify them-
My questions have been in the management of the 5.x
RELEASES- it's been quite some time since 5.0, and the
5.x series is still touted as "scary experimental
stuff that will break"-
I just think that's really hurt the adoption of it-
For basic serverside stuff, bits like ACPI and sound
aren't needed at all-
Perhaps once the scheduling and pthread stuff has been
solidified, a "stable base" release should be made?
Meaning that the release as a whole should still be
considered unstable, but using the as-shipped "stable"
kernel config, things should be nice and solid?

Anyway, just my 2 cents- I don't need a response or
anything, just making my thoguhts known.

=====
--
live- http://www.scosol.org/
to- AIM: IMFDUP