panic on one cpu leaves others running...

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Apr 8 02:10:42 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 12:13:39AM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
>Funky, eh?  I thought we used to have code to ipi the other cpu's and halt
>them until the cpu in ddb was out agian.  I guess I mis-remember, or that
>code is broken...

Look on it as a feature - most other Unices can't survive a panic.
Being able to continue running in a degraded mode until a suitable
maintenance window is available would be a real selling point in
HA applications.  Even being able to shutdown cleanly would be
better than coming to a screaming halt.  :-) (sort of).

Peter