5.2-BETA and related ports issues

Michael Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Sun Nov 30 16:18:07 PST 2003

* Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> [031130 11:36]:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>
> > I have a better idea, then we perhaps need something like a wrapper
> > script that is part of the FreeBSD basic system under /etc/rc.d that
> > checks for the start script under $LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d and starts it very
> > early.
>
> Hmm.  I talked with Gordon about this issue some last night, but he
> pointed out a snag: most installs of FreeBSD place /usr on a separate
> partition from /.  The rcNG ordering decision is made before /usr is
> mounted, as /usr is mounted as part of the pieces kicked off by rc.d.  So
> it would be a fairly large departure from the current implementation of
> the rcNG code to reevaluate the ordering once more directories were
> available in which to find scripts to run.  Not that it's not doable, but
> we need to think about it carefully (and, unfortunately, it's not as easy
> as simply adding /usr/local/etc/rc.d to the list..)  Having wrapper

Since this issue only comes up for a small number of ports, mostly those
ports which can behave as back-end services for things that are in the
base, wouldn't in be sufficient to have certain checkpoints in the rcNG
code that simple scanned for and ran anything in a given location?

You wouldn't need to reorder anything, simply have clearly defined
"pre-whatever" or "post-whatever" steps that did something like:

for i in `grep "RUNAT: post-mount-usr" /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*.sh` ; do
  [ -x $i ] && sh $1;
done

--Mike