5.2-BETA and related ports issues

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 30 14:00:41 PST 2003

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Melvyn Sopacua <freebsd-current at webteckies.org> writes:
>
>>Then you can just as easily nuke the entire mailer.conf principle and symlink
>>bin/postfix to etc/rc.d/050.postfix.sh.
>

> This is actually one of the two recommended ways of starting postfix
> (and the one I prefer).  The main reason for mailer.conf to exist is
> that a lot of scripts have /usr/sbin/sendmail hardcoded and TPTB
> decided that they didn't want to use 'use.perl port'-style symlinks.
>
> DES

But all these seem like such hacks.  It would be so much cleaner to move
sendmail.sh out of the way and just add postfix.sh to /etc/rc.d, rather
than using tricks with symlinks and rc.conf variables.  If you have a
small number of ports added, it's not a big deal.  But all these hacks
get confusing when you have a lot of ports, each doing it's own special
trick.

The mailer.conf issue (for mail injection) is a separate issue and
there's really no way around that.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at mindspring.com