SiI3112 SATA controller problems - status

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Nov 30 09:57:32 PST 2003

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 09:43, HaggeL wrote:
> Hi Guys :)
>
> Sorry if i waste your time. IŽm a freeBSD noob and need some help.
> I want to install freeBSD in januar and have some problems. I want to
> buy me a new harddrive, a serial ATA one, because i got the "Silicon
> ImageR Sil 3112A-Controller" onboard (Asus A7N8X Motherboard). I
> didnŽt find a driver in the Hardware Notes of FreeBSD 5.1, and on the
> Producer homepage are only ready Linuxkernels avaible
> (http://12.24.47.40/display/2n/searchDirect/?searchString=Sil+3112A&searchType=allwords&searchby=keywords&r=0.8157617).
> So can anyone tell me if i can get a SATA disk run? I donŽt want to
> boot from it, just read and write. Buying a new disk only for windows
> use is wasted money

We're having a pretty lengthy discussion about these controllers on this
list right now.  I suggest you read the archives.  Bottom line, the
controller is supported, but it's problematic.  The ATA maintainer has
working controllers, but there are those of us that experience data
corruption, and at least one user that can't use his drive at all when
connected to said controller.

Joe