Nvidia problem fixed in current?

Justin Smith jsmith at drexel.edu
Sat Nov 29 07:18:47 PST 2003

Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

>On Wednesday 26 November 2003 18:40, Justin Smith wrote:
>

>>1. Was the problem with the nvidia driver ever fixed? (I reported this
>>more than a month ago --- the kernel nvidia driver only works with
>>parameters set to lower the speed of the interface, and even then failed
>>with some OpenGL programs like OpenUniverse).

The kernel nvidia driver worked fine in 5.1. It only STOPPED working
when I upgraded to 5.2 beta (and rebuilt and reinstalled the kernel driver).

This is a problem of 5.2 vs 5.1 ---- something changed that stopped it
from working. Perhaps some libraries in 5.2 are no longer compatible
with the nvidia kernel driver (since it is, fundamentally, a binary
program --- one cannot recompile the core of it).

Perhaps it's a problem with AGP in 5.2. Slowing down AGP (to 1x) allows
the nvidia driver to work but it still reboots the machine whenever I
try to do anything that involves OpenGL...

Also, it's odd the the thing fails in such a strange manner (rebooting
the machine without any error messages).