HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Sat Nov 29 06:18:19 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:01:05PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Friday 28 November 2003 21:03, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> > David O'Brien wrote:
> > >
> > >   $ /usr/bin/ftp http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32524.html
> > >   Requesting http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32524.html
> > >   100% |*************************************| 22559      35.32 KB/s
> > > 00:00 ETA 22559 bytes retrieved in 00:00 (35.28 KB/s)
> >
> > Wow!  Learn something new every day around here.
>
> Well, it's a rather new ftp(1), this feature came with lukemftp replacing the
> former ftp. I believe Microsoft Windows still ships the old ftp client
> thought.

The version of ftp in 4.9-R also supports this feature and is documented
in the man page. :-)

In fact, it looks like it was added my Mike Smith back in June of 1997
(source was Luke Mewburn/NetBSD).

Bob

--
Bob Willcox          First Law of Procrastination:
bob at immure.com           Procrastination shortens the job and places the