Anybody using gp driver?

GerritKühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Fri Nov 28 12:52:57 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 06:31:27PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >I might have guessed it.
> >Is there anything around FreeBSD you're not working with or on? ;-)

> sound cards :-)

Hey, you can quite easily make oscilloscopes from them... :)

> >Perhaps I'll be able to have a look at it next week. Which gpib chipsets
> >does it support (apart from NI, which seems to be some kind of standard)?

> The idea was to have the generic NI API and per-chip driver code.  I

So you already implemented the complete NI command set?!

> only have the old PCIIA card with the NEC chip 7210 for which I have
> not been able to find a proper datasheet anywhere.

Hm, my PCI card (made by INES) uses afaicr a NEC chip, too (can't remember
the number now). Did you ever try to ask Frank Mori Hess or one of the
other guys who are maintaining the Linux gpib driver about datasheets?
Should be strange if no-one has them...

> >Hm, FreeBSD is not supposed to do measurements and steering devices?

> Sure it is, but only if there is sufficient hacker momentum will it
> gain the ability and retain the ability.  GPIB has been discussed about
> once per year for the last 5 year and we've gotten nowhere further
> for that...

Ok, I see. Linux seems to have suffered a similar problem for some time.
Actually it's quite a pity - gpib is really useful stuff to have in a lab.
Well, my hacking skills are rather poor and my time is somewhat limited;
otherwise I would already have put more effort into this.

cu
  Gerrit