HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

Tim Kientzle kientzle at acm.org
Wed Nov 26 10:37:52 PST 2003

David O'Brien wrote:
> ...  lets agree that the FTP client will be
> the last thing added to /rescue that is outside the original charter.

I sincerely hope it will be.  Mostly because I have a large chunk
of new code to contribute that's broken and sitting in pieces all over
my hard disk at the moment.  (Working out APIs for new libraries
is not a simple task.  <sigh>)

I don't have a lot of time for FreeBSD hacking, and this thread
has consumed a rather sizable percentage of it.

> If we're going to add an FTP client, lets pick the one with the best
> functionality for the job -- /usr/bin/ftp.  I may not know the complete
> URL to the bits I need, and if so with fetch you're still screwed.

On the other hand, /usr/bin/ftp also has drawbacks:
It requires ncurses (one reason I am interested in dropping vi is to
shed the ncurses library and the need for a termcap file), it's
considerably larger than fetch, and it doesn't support HTTP.

But you are right that if you need to get a file from somewhere, you
probably don't already know the exact location of that file, and
ftp's browsing ability would be very useful then.  Harumph ....

It's a very good suggestion; I'll have to get back to you on it.

Tim