Getting USB detach events enabled in time for 5.2-R?

Johny Mattsson lonewolf-freebsd at earthmagic.org
Tue Nov 25 23:05:49 PST 2003

Hi all,

I was wondering if there's any possibility in getting USB detach events
working in time for the 5.2 release?

The PR in question is kern/46488, and I submitted patches for this issue
quite a while ago (Oct 24). Unfortunately jmg appears to be busy with
other things as I have been unable to get in touch with him to discuss
this one.

The basic issue is that currently no USB detach events are delivered
when a device detaches. The particular call to do so is commented out in
usb_subr.c, and I discovered why when I brought it back in action -
Instant Panic(tm) on detach for some devices. I rooted out why it
happens and provided patches for it (see specifics in the PR and
referenced emails there). The changes are quite small (~5 lines), and
have been verified by others than myself.

My reasoning for wanting this fixed in time for 5.2-R is that it's
functionality advertised in the manpages for e.g. usbd(8), and it's
quite important for people who rely on external USB keyboards for their
laptops, amongst other things.

If I'm being too pushy about this, then my apologies, but I wanted to
bring this one into the spotlight for a moment since I think it's a good
tradeoff in terms of functionality gained vs effort involved.

If I can be of any further assistance in regards to this, please let me
know.

Regards,
/Johny
--
Johny Mattsson - System Designer ,-.   ,-.   ,-.  There is no truth.
http://www.earthmagic.org     _.'  `-'   `-'  There is only perception.