40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

Michael Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Tue Nov 25 21:24:05 PST 2003

* boyd, rounin <boyd at insultant.net> [031125 05:16]:
> i see that there some doubt about whether running lots of
> shell scripts ever happens.  what happens when you
> use make?  lots of shells get run and they run small
> (one line?) scripts.

Just to provide some real-world numbers, here's what I got out of a
buildworld:

Static /bin/sh:
  real    385m29.977s
  user    111m58.508s
  sys     93m14.450s

Dynamic /bin/sh:
  real    455m44.852s
  user    113m17.807s
  sys     103m16.509s

The dynamic /bin/sh caused just over an 18% performance hit on the make
process, everything else being equal (the rest of my / is dynamically
linked).  It may seem like a pretty large performance hit, but to my the
difference between a 6-hour and a 7-hour world build is just an extra
hour of Quake :\

--Mike