40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Nov 25 15:42:12 PST 2003

At 11:27 PM +0100 11/25/03, Brad Knowles wrote:
>At 11:50 AM -0800 2003/11/25, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>
>>      ... Or you can build an IPC mechanism that implements
>>      the PAM functionality and then have programs which
>>      would otherwise use PAM instead use the IPC mechanism.
>>      Which is the whole point of having the IPC mechanism
>>      in the first place.
>
>	That all sounds wonderful!
>
>	So, when are you going to deliver this fully functioning
>and debugged code for inclusion in FreeBSD-5.2?

My guess is that he will deliver it to DragonFly BSD, and it
will then be up to someone with FreeBSD commit privs to look
at steal^h^h^h^h^h^h adapting it for our purposes...

Note that we are already in the code-freeze for 5.2-release,
so I will estimate the probability that all this happens in
time for this release is zero.  Absolute zero.  What might
happen for 5.3-release is a different story, of course.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu