40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

Erik H. Bakke ebakke at trolltech.com
Tue Nov 25 01:54:40 PST 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 03:07, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 25 Nov, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 November 2003 11:52, Dan Nelson wrote:
> >  > > I'd greatly prefer that the the dynamic root default be backed out
> >  > >

> >> Try timing "cd /usr/ports/www/mozilla-devel ; make clean" with static
> >> and dynamic /bin.  bsd.port.mk spawns many many many /bin/sh processes.
> >
> > OK my bad, it will probably slow down the ports building.
>
> The ports infrastructure is horribly slow even with a static sh, though
> not as glacially slow as installing and patching Solaris 9.

But if the change to dynamic root "provokes" this slowdown that people have
been seeing, it would be much better to address the cause and not the
symptom.

The change to dynamic root here is not the cause, the extra overhead of using
dynamically linked tools is, and that should be the main focus point.

If the overhead of dynamic linking is reduced, that will benefit all of us,
even if we use a dynamic root or not.

--
Erik H. Bakke