memory allocation issue loading a kernel module

Maxime Henrion mux at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 25 00:31:45 PST 2003

Sean McNeil wrote:
> Yes, thanks for the clarification.  I still am inclined to believe,
> though, that the disk driver is what is fragmenting the physical memory
> with disk cacheing.  It is only a theory, but it sounded plausible.

Maybe, but the root cause is not the disk caching.  It may be that this
subsystem is doing a lot of allocations/deallocations and thus leads to
physical address space fragmentation, but the root cause is how we deal
with physical address space, and the correct fix is not to add hacks into
the disk caching code.  I'm insisting on this because I don't want to see
people adding hacks here and there to workaround the problem.  Even if
you get the disk caching code to cause less fragmentation, fragmentation
_will_ happen.  At best it'll take a bit longer.

Cheers,
Maxime