40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Mon Nov 24 19:17:26 PST 2003

Peter Wemm writes:

 > We need nsswitch type functionality in /bin/sh.  To the people who want to
 > make it static, lets see some static binary dlopen() support or a nsswitch
 > proxy system.

Maybe this is just nieve, but I always thought that it was the
responsibility of the party introducing the creeping feature to
underdatand and then minimize a potential performance impact.  But now
we're treading over ground brought up by John Dyson last week.

I've at least partially quantified the performance impact, which is
all I have time for.

Drew